I created the circuit in LTSpice so I could mess with various components
and see how it affects things like frequency and wave form. Rings like
crazy, so I added an RC snubber, which seemed to also necessitate tying the
primary center tap to ground through a capictor/diode (I don't know if that
is an artifact of the way LTSpice works, or something that is actually
necessary). I copied this from the LT3999 demo board schematic
<https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/eval-board-schematic/DC2049A-1-SCH.PDF>
.

[image: filament_snub.JPG]
I was wondering about voltage sag with this, as there is no regulation and
then re-read your post where Ed Dinning says "Regulation could be a normal
type of regulator set for constant current". No idea what one of those
might be, and whether he is just referring to the 50Hz solution or not.