Thanks!  I am rather proud of it.

I was chasing a problem I thought I had with the capacitive touch sensor
spontaneously activating the clock.  I assumed the problem was with the
size of the "sensor" (in this instance the entire case is the sensor)
somehow causing the circuit to activate due to some unknown condition,
temperature change, humidity change,  static electricity, etc.  I was
unaware this particular clock board has a feature where it can be set to
activate at a predetermined time,  turns out that was the cause!  Took a
few days of being home to notice it happened at the same time every day.