I don’t personally think that there is much of a mystery about the lack of
“great tubes” on ebay or other places at “reasonable prices”.   The market is
no longer for hobbyists, it has shifted to a collector phase where some are
simply hoarding tubes and others approach it with a “win at any price”
attitude.  There are obviously people on this board that are engaged in this
approach and some are silent and some like to post their acquisitions.  It’s no
different with anything else that isn’t being made anymore.  Vintage comic
books, baseball cards and lots of other examples of collectables show what
happens when people with too much money decide what things should be worth to
everyone else.  Nixie tubes are no different.  I would guess that there are
many people on this board that have hundreds or even thousands of tubes sitting
in their homes or in storage.  Do they need all of them?  Probably not, but
that is the nature of collecting.  It is only when those with lots of
disposable income get into the game that the prices will rise for everyone as
the supply dwindles.

When the supply has been mostly consumed and the prices are high, then there
may be an opening for small shops to get back into the production of some types
of tubes and actually be able to sell at a price that works today and provides
a livelihood for their efforts.  We are fortunate that there are some producers
such as Dalibor that have figured out how to build a reliable nixie and price
it so that there is a supply that is available to the hobby market.  The
variety that once existed is likely gone with few exceptions.  The people that
will consume tubes from Dalibor or Millclock are hobbyists as opposed to
collectors and that will make those tubes obtainable while the vintage tubes
will be out of reach for people that are in the hobby game.

It’s just economics and supply/demand.

Jeff