Regarding using the 74HC595s, it's true that they are technically out of
spec if too many segments are on, but I believe the failure cause would be
whole chip heating rather than the single output transistors, and
especially with the PWM dimming going on (the segments are never on 100%,
since that would be out of spec for *them* - they're actually rated for 4
volts, not 5), everything stays nice and cool.  I haven't had any problems
with ground bounce screwing up the logic states.

The cold-filament current could be a real deal, and in fact happens when
power is first applied to the clock.  I have a start-up routine that
sequentially warms up each filament to just below visibly glowing, so that
condition only exists for less than a second, and only 100 mSec per
segment.  After that, the filaments are all kept warm.  Actually, the
original RCA data sheets recommend doing something like that to limit the
current surge of the cold filaments.  I have a couple of old clocks that
don't have this algorithm, using my precious DTF-104B tubes, and it doesn't
seem to have unduly affected them either, though.

Regarding the timing of the bit-banging, the particular processor I'm using
avoids all of those problems, mostly by virtue of it being rather archaic.
Firstly, the port pins in an 8051 are in an area of memory that's
bit-addressable, so that glitch when the the entire 8-bit port is written
doesn't exist.  It's also a couple of orders of magnitude slower enough so
that it won't outpace the specs of the '595s.  (I did put spacing
instructions in when bit-banging some slow SPI peripherals on another
project, though.)  This old, tiny processor certainly doesn't have any
built-in SPI peripheral, though.

I'll have to look into the TPIC6b595s - those sound useful...
~~
Mark Moulding