I found out the hard way that magic eye tubes dont last long.

Back in the 70's I salvaged a 6E5 along with it's unusual socket which has
a built-in resistor and saved for a later date when I found a datasheet and
could hook it up for a future project. There it sat in a junkbox for about
40 years, until I rediscovered it and was eager to finally light it up.
Filament is fine, yet no glow on the tube face. Such a disappointment.

I was planning to use it in the center of my alternate big clock which has
green neon bulbs, like it's neon cousin pictured in my google icon that has
traditional orange NE-2s for hands and an A101 dekatron spinning in the
middle.

Someday when the project backlog clears-up I'll take the 6E5 apart and make
one of these.