First off, this site has an excellent rundown on the history of holiday
lighting. I'll jump into the post-war America section for some background info:

http://oldchristmastreelights.com/1946_1950.htm
<http://oldchristmastreelights.com/1946_1950.htm>

Next, here's the detailed history of bubble lights, including the legal battle
over the patents:

http://oldchristmastreelights.com/bubble_lights1.htm
<http://oldchristmastreelights.com/bubble_lights1.htm>

There's a quick way to tell if a set of candelabra base bubble lights is "new"
versus "vintage". Starting in the early '70s, manufacturers began crimping the
top of the tubes to make the tip look like a flame. The old ones are straight.

If you're a Lionel train fan, NOMA made the famous talking railroad station.

I have reproduction bubble tubes made by Richard Curry who reverse-engineered
the chemistries. I made a lifetime purchase eight or ten years ago and he
hasn't had any for sale for a long time; that well has run dry. I paid him $10
apiece, lifetime warranty. I asked Rich recently what original Shooting-Star
tubes were going for on eBay and all he said was that they're "out of sight".

He has all of his trade secrets written down and stashed away with his family.
Anyone with deep pockets care to step up to the plate? A good investment
opportunity in my opinion. Who doesn't love bubble lights? Oils and shooters
are really cool, no one is going to be  making them, and collectors who came to
the game too late would gobble them up.

eBay has banned the sale of bubble lights; you can still find a few listings
that haven't been reported yet by some busybody. I think I mentioned in the
other thread that new sets still around if you can find them. Don't ever buy
just what you need, get one extra set. The bulbs in the ones made in the last
ten or twenty years are crap. At least one will blow early on because of a bad
vacuum or seal. Also, the action may be anemic because of an insufficiently
hard vacuum and colder light bulbs but they're all that's available.
Note that there are bubble lights with clear tubes/bases and colored light
bulbs. The effect is rather like Easter pastels but with more saturated colors.
In the right setting they look very nice. A white or silver tree would be
perfect.

Imagine if they banned Nixie tubes on eBay because some have mercury in them.
O_O

Much, much more to tell if anyone is interested...

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"There is no Main Street anymore except at Disneyland—and try and buy a gun
there"—Hank Hill