The voltage across the tube starts high, while the tube impedance is high,
before the gas discharge has been established. The current then rises
relatively slowly, while the voltage drops at a proportional rate due to
the anode resistor. Threeneuron has an excellent page on driving nixies
<https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/nixie-power-supply/>, which also has a
scope capture of a Nixie striking. The lack of surge current should mean
that there won't be additional power dissipation and thus heating during
this period. Also, because the current doesn't rise that fast, that should
limit the high frequency components of EMI emissions.

In regards to audible noise, I think this depends on the physical
construction of the tubes in use. I don't have a large sample size in this
regards, as I have only implemented dimming and cross-fading on my Z566M
clocks and haven't noticed audible noise from that. I'm running it at 400Hz
IIRC.

I guess a valid point could be that if the tubes are generating audible
noise, that could mean that there are some physical stresses being being
exerted, which could cause wear. The glass to metal joints are the weakest
spots. This is pure speculation though, and I think there are multiplexed
clocks out there that have been running for a couple of decades on end by
now.