The picture above confirms my suspicion that more-frequently-changing
digits will die first. The dying hours tube is still a mystery to me; maybe
it was previously used ? I learned about this as a kid when I would do
stupid things like turning my room light on-and-off to annoy others. Yeah,
my bulb always died pretty quickly...

There are 2 design enhancements you can do to prolong filament life. First,
limit the inrush current by using a simple current regulator or drive from
a higher voltage and add some series resistance. For example, if a filament
typically runs at 40mA for a 5V supply, it's HOT resistance is 5/0.04 = 125
ohms. I've seen cold resistance 4-5 times lower, so such a bulb could
easily see surge-currents of 200mA. Now, if you drive the same filament
from a 12V supply, and add a series resistance of (12-5)/0.04= 175 ohms,
the peak surge current has been reduced to 60mA. This will reduce thermal
shock, but not thermal cycling.

For rapidly-changing digits, such as the seconds, you may want to have all
segments slightly energized just below visibility to reduce thermal
cycling. I would guess somewhere around 10-20% of normal operating current
is a good place to start.

What about PWM ? Well, that's a good question and I suppose if the
frequency is high enough, say hundreds of Hz, there wouldn't be any added
thermal cycling.  But you would likely hear some audible noise. Faster
still, say 20-30 kHz, wont be audible but might have some unwanted
harmonics that cause RFI in the AM band.