I found a 3-legged surge arrestor awhile back (looked exactly like a NE-2,
but with 3 leads and 3 electrodes), but was unable to get any visible glow
from it (up to 500 volts) so I assume it was intended for higher voltages,
and perhaps had a different gas or pressure. I salvaged it from something
in the past 1-2 years, but cant remember what it was. It might have been an
old DSL modem or TV set-top -box.

Another oddball is the spark-gap capacitor. The old Zenith TV we had in the
late 1960's had a few of these, and it would occasionally make a zap when
the video signal went from dark-to-light rapidly.