@ David - that is an interesting idea - I did that already in another
design  where I wanted to reduce the workload on an ESP8266 so I used a
Teensy running a state machine based piece of code to do the heavy lifting
- the ESP8266 just fed data to the Teensy over a serial connection - I kid
you not - it works really well - though that is all running a lot slower
than what I need for this multiplexed display project.
I am actually hoping to do it all on ESP8266 this time round with a couple
of 595's driven via SPI transfers and some state-machine based code which
manages the display.

The next part of my planning is to gain the understanding of what delays
are required and where.

I am broadly assuming that I need to do things in the following order:

{
Set the cathodes for the number to be displayed
Delay before turning on anode
Set the desired anode on
Wait for the desired 'anode on' time
Set the anode off
Wait for the desired 'anode off ' time
Increment the current anode number (reset to 0 if we got past the max)
}

In this way, the anode on and off times can be set - thus controlling
fading etc

My next question is - do I need to wait at all after setting the cathodes
up and before turning the required anode on?

For the hardware I was thinking that one of the 595's would connect to low
sided drivers (MPSA42 etc) to ground the required cathodes whilst the other
595 would connect to high sided drivers (MPSA42+MPSA92 etc) to connect the
desired anode to the HV supply.

I was then thinking that all anodes and cathodes would connect to something
like 80V via a suitable resistance - as per the Bally schematic for driving
multiplexed panaplex displays in pinball machines.

As detailed here: bally_as2518_15_6digit.pdf (pinitech.com)
<https://www.pinitech.com/retrofit/schematics/bally_as2518_15_6digit.pdf>

Am I anywhere near the right track on any of this?

- Richard