Products that embed Microsoft Database Engine (MSDE) are vulnerable.

I use Compaq Insight Manager (on thousands of servers!) which embeds MSDE, 
and thus vulnerable to the worm.  I have contacted Compaq and there has 
still been no official statement acknowledging or denying the issue.

Compaq Insight Manager does not listen on port TCP/1433 (I expect other MSDE 
products may also listen on a different port).

Does the Nessus script test all open ports to determine if they are MSDE?  
Or does it only look for port TCP/1433?

Regards,
Brian

>From: Shane Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: The SQLworm
>Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:36:09 -0500 (CDT)
>
>On Thu, 30 May 2002, twig les wrote:
>
> > I suppose I'm just taking the lazy admins way out
> > again, but I simply sniff my network looking for port
> > 1433 crap.  Since we don't allow it through the
> > borders it would have to be coming from an inside
> > host.  Of course it's all pretty academic since we
> > don't actually *have* a MSSql box.
>
>Keep in mind that there are MSSQL(like) systems embedded in other
>software.  Many are other MS products, but not all.  Just something to
>keep in mind.

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

Reply via email to