Yes, I also thought about range checks not being eliminated if using
charAt() but I guess that depends on how smart the JIT is - if charAt is
inlined there's technically enough info there for the compiler to see that
range checks aren't needed.  Whether that happens or not I haven't
checked.  toCharArray brings us back to having allocations unless, again,
EA helps out.  I think a microbenchmark would help here (along with verbose
GC logging) to see which is better if this is a concern.

Why do you say you need to duplicate String.hashCode to be consistent with
what people are using already? As long as the hash quality is at least as
good as today (or not significantly worse) shouldn't you be able to change
the impl? If someone's relying on specific value for some input then their
code is broken.  Besides, doing toUpper will change the hash for URIs with
% anyway.  Perhaps I misunderstood your point though ...

Vitaly

Sent from my phone