Thank you Michael!

Okay. I see the "part 1" in the subject line now, but maybe the bug should be updated to define the scope of the change and we should file a separate bug report then.

I created the subtask to track this part (the subject of the thread is changed accordingly):

I'm okay with leaving the class with the current name. What about the datagram socket code?
It might make sense to include the equivalent changes there also.

TwoStacksPlainDatagramSocketImpl is there for two purposes: for IPv4 only as above and for doing multicasting. DualStackPlainDatagramSocketImpl does not have multicasting implemented (from the comment: "This is to overcome the lack of behavior defined for multicasting over a dual layer socket by the RFC"

I'm going to see if it's possible to implement multicasting over DualStack socket with the current API:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms738558(v=vs.85).aspx

If it is, it should be possible to drop IPv6 part of TwoStacksPlainDatagramSocketImpl as well.

There might need to be some code in net_util_md.c that needs to be removed also (NET_Timeout2() function?)

I've just checked its content, and it all is still used somewhere.
NET_Timeout2() is called from TwoStacksPlainDatagramSocketImpl.
Once we remove/reoraganize it, all the unused functions will be erased too.

Sincerely yous,
Ivan