On 12/09/16 14:50, Florian Weimer wrote:
On 08/23/2016 09:40 AM, Norman Maurer wrote:
Hi all,

I first asked this on nio-dev[0] but was asked to move this over to here:

I wonder if it would be possible to add a new IOException sub-class
for ECONNRESET. Often you receive these errors if a remote peer closed
the connection and you try to read from it while using NIO. This is
very often not really something that concerns people and can just be
handled the same as a “normal close”.

So what are the other cases, where ECONNRESET may occur? What is
equivalent on non-Unix platforms, Windows for example?

>> At the moment the only way to
detect this is to inspect the IOException message which is really
hacky.

Do you have examples of code that does this today?

I wonder if we could not add a special IOException sub-class
for this. Something like:

ConnectionResetException extends IOException {
}

Shouldn't it be a subclass of SocketException?

I think it would have to be a subclass of SocketException too, for
compatibility at least, since that is the type that is thrown
today.

sun.net.ConnectionResetException exists today, but I don't think
that it ever finds its way outside of the implementation. And is
of course not part of Java SE.

-Chris.