Daniel,

I case I remove lines 218-223 and disable jdk.security.auth module the test fails with an Exception:

Expect client to choose: Basic
HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Connection: close
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="wallyworld"
WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

Server received Authorization header: NTLM TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB4IIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
STDERR:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected value
        at NoNTLM.test(NoNTLM.java:174)
        at NoNTLM.main(NoNTLM.java:229)
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(java.base@9-ea/Native Method) at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(java.base@9-ea/NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(java.base@9-ea/DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(java.base@9-ea/Method.java:537)
at com.sun.javatest.regtest.agent.MainWrapper$MainThread.run(MainWrapper.java:110)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(java.base@9-ea/Thread.java:844)

JavaTest Message: Test threw exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected value
JavaTest Message: shutting down test

Looks like the module also requires for www authentication in other pice of code.

--
With best regards,
Sergei