On 2017-01-25 13:51, Chris Hegarty wrote:
On 24 Jan 2017, at 16:44, Erik Joelsson <erik.joels...@oracle.com> wrote:

Hello,

Build changes look good except for one thing. In Javadoc.gmk, the dependency on
$(BUILD_TOOLS_JDK) needs to be set for $$($1_INDEX_FILE) (on line 317), where
the actual recipes are created. Setting it on the phony docs-javadoc target
will not help incremental builds.
Updated in place
   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/incubator_taglet/

It's not ideal that a top-level target has dependencies from the JDK repo, but since we have no or few pre-existing top-level tools, I understand if you hesitate to add a new framework for such tools. If we ever do introduce more such tools, I think we should move this along.

I think the new -taglet options to the DEFAULT_JAVADOC_OPTIONS variable. As the documentation says, the DEFAULT_JAVADOC_TAGS is there to specify the ordering of tags in the output. Unless the -taglet options implicitly generates one or more -tag options in it's place, that's the wrong place to put it. If it does, perhaps a comment indicating this hidden behavior would be in place.

In the line: "$$($1_INDEX_FILE): $(BUILD_TOOLS_JDK) $$($1_VARDEPS_FILE) $$($1_PACKAGE_DEPS) $$($1_DEPS)", please use a double $ ($$) for all variables. While technically not necessary in this particular case, it's misleading and we've had our share of bugs due to single $ in eval'd macros.

In the line: "docs-javadoc: $(BUILD_TOOLS_JDK) $(TARGETS)", please remove the reference to BUILD_TOOLS_JDK. It is not needed.

/Magnus

-Chris.

/Erik