Looks good to me.

/Claes

On 2018-03-14 15:30, Alan Bateman wrote:

Classic networking has some curious code to deal with connection resets. I needed to dig into ancient history to find the issues and original motivations.

When a connection reset is reported (usually ECONNRESET) then further attempts to read from the socket will typically return -1 (EOF). Classic networking papers over this so that further attempts with the socket APIs to read bytes will continue to throw SocketException "connection reset". Furthermore, it allows for cases where the platform can read bytes from the socket buffer after ECONNRESET has been reported. None of the main stream platforms do this and it's hard to imagine anything depending on such unpredictable behavior. I'm running into this odd code as part of cleanup to the read/write code paths and reducing them down to a single blocking call.

I would like to remove the legacy/undocumented behavior that attempts to read beyond the connection reset. The code to consistently throw IOException once ECONNRESET is returned is retained as it's possible that code relies on this.

The proposed changes are here:
   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alanb/8199329/webrev/

All existing tests pass with these changes.

-Alan