On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 10:28:08 GMT, Michael McMahon <micha...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> /csr
>>
>> Link to CSR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8255993
>
> I wonder if the spec should be a little more specific than just "seeded"
> which I think is fine for the first sentence. But maybe say something like
> "fields are copied from the given HttpRequest" in the description.

a couple of points:
Should the spec state explicitly that an NPE is thrown if the supplied
HttpRequest reference is null?

Alternatively, if the supplied HttpRequest is null then why not return an empty
builder?

I would favour a slightly more verbose statement in the spec, something like:

   /**
     * Creates a {@code Builder} with its pre request state set from that of an
existing {@code HttpRequest}.
     *
     * <p> This method can be used as the basis for building a new request
equivalent to a
     * given request, while allowing further amendment and alteration of
     * the pre request state, for example adding additional Http headers, prior
to request construction.
     *
     * @param request the request
     * @return a new request builder
     * @throws IllegalArgumentException if a new builder cannot be seeded from
     *         the given request (for instance, if the request contains illegal
     *         parameters)
     * @throws NullPointerException is thrown if the supplied HttpRequest is
null
     * @since 16