On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 18:58:21 GMT, Daniel Fuchs <dfu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> test/jdk/java/net/httpclient/ProxyServer.java line 390:
>>
>>> 388:                             clientSocket.shutdownInput();
>>> 389:                             close();
>>> 390:                             return;
>>
>> I realise it isn't related to this change, but why is the test proxy closing
>> the connection?
>
> There's no guarantee that the proxy will have read all the bytes sent by the
> client - even if it attempts to drain the connection. So the only sane
> reaction if you're not going to parse the request body is to close the
> connection.

Right, I was mistaken. It actually is related to this change. You are testing
what happens *if* the proxy closes the connection. Though that wouldn't be
normal behavior for a proxy. If you are sending 407 to the client then you
would want to keep the connection open so the client can retry the request.
Maybe we need some comments in ProxyServer to indicate that the connection is
being closed to test this specific scenario. Though if ProxyServer is used in
other tests, I wonder if it might be better to use some flag or switch to
enable this connection closing behavior?