On 24/08/2021 04:09, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

Do you connections to the Apache HTTP client library and the retry code that is looking for specific exceptions? From a distance it seems very fragile and depending on very implementation specific behavior. I wonder if it has ever been tested on Windows or with an untimed connect.

I am not involved in the Apache HTTP client library project. However, I will go ahead and open a discussion in their mailing list and bring this issue to their attention, so that they can decide how to deal with it.

Thank you for your help and the explanation.

This has now been fixed in the Apache HTTP client library to no longer treat these two exception types differently when it comes to retry handling logic

Good. Note that BindException is possible when attempt to establish a connection because the kernel will bind the socket to a local port if not explicitly bound already. It might arise when there are no ports available. I don't know if this changes the retry logic in the HTTP client but thought I should mention it.

-Alan