On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:32:19 GMT, Daniel Jeliński <d...@openjdk.java.net> wrote:

>> Per Java documentation,
>> "[Error](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Error.java#L30)
>>  [..] indicates serious problems that a reasonable application should not
>> try to catch". Failure to enumerate network interfaces or addresses is not a
>> serious enough situation; many applications can recover from this pretty
>> easily.
>>
>> All native methods (except `init()`) in
>> [NetworkInterface](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/src/java.base/share/classes/java/net/NetworkInterface.java#L436)
>>  are declared with `throws SocketException`, so throwing SocketExceptions
>> instead of Errors will match the declared interface.
>>
>> Unix version of
>> [NetworkInterface](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/src/java.base/unix/native/libnet/NetworkInterface.c#L1189)
>>  already throws `SocketException`s in similar situations, and does not throw
>> `Error` under any circumstances.
>>
>> I searched the bug database and mail archives, but could not find any
>> discussion on the topic; if there's a reason to keep throwing `Error`s, I
>> couldn't find it.
>>
>> `tier1` tests pass, `java.net` tests pass. No new regression tests as I
>> couldn't find any list of steps to reproduce the problem.
>>
>> I don't have write access to JBS. I could use some help with creating a
>> ticket.
>
> Daniel Jeliński has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Adapt line length to 80 column display

The current patch looks good and it's good to have caught the DWORD->int issue.
We should add information about this to the JBS issue.
I don't mind if you want to iterate further with Daniel's suggestion, okay if
it's a separate PR too. In general I think there is quite a bit of cleanup to
do in this code.

Marked as reviewed by alanb (Reviewer).