The newly introduced simple webserver when launched from a directory does necessary checks to disallow serving of hidden files (and symlinks). So if I do something like:

cd ~/

java -m jdk.httpserver

and then issue a HTTP request against something like localhost:8000/.ssh/known_hosts, then it won't serve that content because .ssh is a hidden directory. This behaviour matches what's stated in the JEP 408.

However, if I instead launch the server from within a hidden directory, like:

cd ~/.ssh/

java -m jdk.httpserver

and then issue a localhost:8000/known_hosts request, then it does end up serving that content.

Should the root path against which the server is launched be checked to see if any of its parent path(s) are hidden directories (or symlinks) and if so disallow the server creation?

-Jaikiran