     Digital Divide"
  2. K12> Earth Science resources
  3. K12> Re: LANGUAGE: Debate
  4. Last: posting for Thursday, May 30, 2002

Archives for Net-happenings can be found at:
http://www.classroom.com/community/email/archives.jhtml?A0=NET-HAPPENINGS

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&GROUP;=comp.internet.net-happenings

Date:    Thu, 30 May 2002 11:38:08 -0500
From:    Gleason Sackmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MISC> [DIGITALDIVIDE] AP reports "Consumer groups: Bush misinterprets
         Digital Divide"

Date:         Thu, 30 May 2002 11:51:20 -0400
From:         Marissa Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      [DIGITALDIVIDE] AP reports "Consumer groups: Bush
misinterprets  Digital Divide"
To:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Consumer groups: Bush misinterprets digital divide
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By D. IAN HOPPER
May 30, 2002  |  WASHINGTON (AP) --

The Bush administration is wrong to declare that the digital divide is
narrowing and should focus on expanding Internet access for the poor and
less educated in their homes, leading consumer groups said Thursday.

They contend the administration is misinterpreting a recent study on the
topic by looking at Internet access at work and in schools, rather than
concentrating in homes where most families use the Internet and the gap is
greatest.

"The administration's claim that we no longer need policies to close the gap
is simply wrong," said Chris Murray of the Consumers Union, which released
an analysis with the Consumer Federation of America and Civil Rights Forum.

<snipped>

http://salon.com/politics/wire/2002/05/30/divide/index.html

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Marissa Martin
Project Coordinator, CTCNet
Community Technology Centers' Network
  ACC Regional Development, Reg. 4, 6, 10
  MetroBoston CTC Support Project
http://www.ctcnet.org
(617)354-0825 x13
(617)354-8437 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CTCNet's 11th Annual National Conference!!!
       June 14-16, 2002 in Austin, TX
         For more information, see:
http://www.ctcnet.org/conf2002/confhome02.htm