On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:41:25 +0200 Thomas wrote:
TA> Dave Shield wrote:
TA> > I think that ideally, we should support both modes of operation
TA> > (configurable). A "possibly-new" interface could either take the same
TA> > index as before, or a new one, with a config option to determine which.
TA>
TA> I agree. Both options can be desirable in the real world and only the
TA> sysadmin is in a position to decide what's "right" for him.

I have no problem with this. Whoever decides to tackle this, however, also
needs to hunt down all the other tables that use ifIndex in some fashion or
another, and update them to use the data access routines to get ifIndex
instead of the ioctl they currently use. Note that this implies that we get
the ifIndex related routines for all the platforms that are using the ioctl
ported over to the new method.

Any volunteers?  Financial sponsors?

TA> If we decide to introduce a config token: are there significant use
TA> cases for making it a "per-device" (e.g. pppX) setting rather than a
TA> global one?

Yes, I think that would be a good thing.