>> 8)  "as-needed" linking
>> Again, I haven't checked the relevant bugs, but this feels as
>> if it might
>> be a more significant issue than many of the others.
>> How damaging would it be to ship things as they currently stand?

TA> OSX is the only one that fails during "make". On the other (older)
TA> systems problems probably only happen when doing "make install
TA> DESTDIR=/some/where/else".

I refuse to release code that may work in some cases and not others
and there is no clear way to know or warn a user in advance.  To that
effect I've now put the as-needed support under a
must-turn-on-to-get-it flag (--enable-as-needed).  I think this is a
significantly safer approach and still lets people build it with the
direct linking if they desire it.  I agree ideally we should be able
to always use it, but realistically it's not going to work without
compiling a long list of exceptions or will-work-ons.

--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.