On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:51:45AM -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> I'm going to defer all judgment to those more familiar with windows
> development than I.  Thus take these comments as minor:
>
> AB> 4) I don't think we need to support Windows NT anymore and we certainly
> AB> don't need to support Windows 9x.
>
> I'm not sure I buy NT being gone.  I suspect it's still in greater use
> than it possibly should be.  But again, I'll defer and am not voting.

Sadly, Windows NT4 is still in use by plenty of systems - I still run into
them in the medical industry attached to CAT scanners and the like - but these
are legacy systems for which development has been frozen for a long time.

Even if vendors are still [barely] supporting the code - as Microsoft does
for a big fee - it stretches the imagination that anybody is undergoing
new development on this platform.

If I were king, I'd be happy to drop NT4 support from the current release
and invite those poor self-abusing souls who need it to use version N-1
on that platform.

Alex wrote:
> For #2, we can either distribute the Microsoft DLLs (1.4Meg) or require
> that the user install the 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
> Package' from the Microsoft web site.  It's probably easier to just
> include the DLLs.

I think it makes me a little nervous to take responsibility for distributing
somebody else's binaries when it's not so hard to point them to the right
place. But depending on how the installer is built I guess it might be so
much more convenient for the to just include them.

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl  | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  | 714 694-0494
st...@unixwiz.net | Orange County, CA   | Microsoft MVP |  unixwiz.net