TT> [Tony] Did you mean use a known engineID for subagent? The system
TT> has many elements, each containing a subagent. As a solution to this
TT> problem, I tried to use a known common engine ID by subagents in all
TT> elements.

SNMP agents must each have their own unique engineID.  AgentX subagents,
however, don't have engineIDs at all.  (I'm not sure which you were
referring to).

TT> << If snmptrapd is a agentx subagent to snmpd, then you can send snmp SET
TT> requests to create new users to snmpd under the context name of "snmptrapd"
TT> to affect the snmptrapd's user table.

TT> [Tony] I am interested to know more about this. Could you please
TT> provide the MIB module and object/table to SET?

The usmUserTable.

Eg, here's a walk of my local test agent's usmUserSecurityName

# snmpwalk alias:tls usmUserSecurityName
SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB::usmUserSecurityName.\"........@w..k\".\"wes\" = STRING:
wes
SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB::usmUserSecurityName.\"........@w..k\".\"initial\" =
STRING: initial

And here's a walk with the "snmptrapd" context because it's running on
the same machine (and was started after snmpd):

# snmpwalk -n snmptrapd alias:tls usmUserSecurityName
SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB::usmUserSecurityName.\".....B......K\".\"wes\" = STRING:
wes
SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB::usmUserSecurityName.\".....B......K\".\"wesx\" =
STRING: wesx

Note how the "wes" user exists in both, but "initial" and "wesx" are different.
--
Wes Hardaker
Please mail all replies to net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net