Hi Dave,

when I execute the snmpd command in root account rather than using
sudo it works perfectly fine and responses all queries.

[root@volga]# /home/ravi/net-snmp-5.5/agent/snmpd -c
/home/ravi/net-snmp-5.5/local/snmpd.conf,/var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf -C
-f -Le

Cannot find module (IP-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (IF-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
NET-SNMP version 5.5
---
---

Similarly when I use sudo command on non-root user (please note
without -u option). it works fine as well.
[ravi@volga]$ sudo /home/ravi/net-snmp-5.5/agent/snmpd -c
/home/ravi/net-snmp-5.5/local/snmpd.conf,/var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf -C
-f -Le
[sudo] password for ravi:

Cannot find module (IP-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (IF-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
NET-SNMP version 5.5
----
----

Problem comes when I try to switch back to non-root user using -u
option. After running snmpd using sudo. In this case snmpd quits with
error "initgroups failed: Operation not permitted."

[ravi@volga]$ sudo /home/ravi/net-snmp-5.5/agent/snmpd -c
/home/ravi/net-snmp-5.5/local/snmpd.conf,/var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf -C
-f -Le -u ravi

Cannot find module (IP-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (IF-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
initgroups failed: Operation not permitted
[ravi@volga]$

snmpd fails to start in this case.
Moreover I do not want to use SUID bit. As setting SUID bit on
executable has its own risks
Please suggest.

Thanks,
Ravi