Hi,

I've seen this technique used by a major telecom vendor, so it's certainly
technically doable. They included DateAndTime and a name string as part of
the index on trap varbinds.
I would advise you to find a different way, though, just for the reasons
you mention. It's not human-readable at all, and while our NMS system
calculates the corect OID values by a script, it took time to develop and
it was hell to work with when integration testing.

Maybe you could keep the strings as row values in another table, and use a
shared numeric index for the two tables, to map them together?

BR,
Joel Hansell