From: Lee [mailto:ler...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 5:47 PM
To: Soumit
Cc: net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net; AR, Giridhar
Subject: Re: guidelines to increase the MTU size

On 9/17/15, Soumit <soumit.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you got packet captures for SNMP requests. Even if jumbo frames
> enabled does the SNMP datagrams are really that big (>1500)

The problem with enabling jumbo frames (ie. MTU > 1500) is that _every_ device
on the subnet, including routers & switches, has to be configured with the same
MTU size or else you will drop some traffic.

On the other hand, as long as you don't have stupid firewall rules like 'drop
non-initial fragments', large packets work just fine.  If you can get access to
a Cisco switch, see for yourself:

   on the switch:
conf term
snmp-server community foo ro
snmp-server packetsize 9000
end

   on the workstation, start capturing packets & do:
snmpbulkwalk -c foo -Cr100 ipAddressOfSwitch .1.3.6

If you're using wireshark you'll see lots of instances that look like

Fragmented IP protocol (proto=UDP 17, off=0, ID=0251) [Reassembled in ...
Fragmented IP protocol (proto=UDP 17, off=1480, ID=0251) [Reassembled in ...
Fragmented IP protocol (proto=UDP 17, off=2960, ID=0251) [Reassembled in ...
Fragmented IP protocol (proto=UDP 17, off=4440, ID=0251) [Reassembled in ...
Fragmented IP protocol (proto=UDP 17, off=5920, ID=0251) [Reassembled in ...
get-response

Regards,
Lee