On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:00:44 +0200 Lars wrote:
LM> we are experiencing strange issues with Net-SNMP 5.7.3. When
LM> doing a SNMP query (walk or get) on an OID which is responding
LM> with an invalid value for this OID, for example an integer
LM> which exceeds the range of a 32-bit integer, Net-SNMP is
LM> continuously retrying to fetch this value for the maximum of
LM> configured retries finally leading to a "timeout" error.
LM>
LM> This is a weird handling, because:
LM>
LM> a) the device did respond -> not a timeout
LM> b) the retries are odd, because for these values it is totally
LM> clear that the device will always responding with such an
LM> invalid value

Sorry for the (extremely) delayed response. SNMP specifies that
malformed packets are dropped, so we don't really consider the
received packet as a response. We can't know the difference
between a broken agent and a spoofed response sent by a bad actor.
We are reporting what actually happened - we timed our waiting for
a valid response from the agent.

Robert