[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

How do I use the net-snmp-config -create-snmpv3-user with my cross-compile environment.

If I run net-snmp-config locally, it wants to modify /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf which is not accessible to my target.

If I run net-snmp-config on the target, it wants to modify /home/bblietz/place/where/I/installed/it/on/my/local/machine which does not exist on my target.

So either way, one or the other causes problems.

This might be of interest....I have installed the binaries on my local machine, and NFS mounted the directory on the target.

I had to kludge it though with a symbolic link on my build machine.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I've recently finished getting netSNMP working for an IXP425 embedded target. I also battled a bit with the V3 user names, but thanks to much help from the list I was able to figure out my mistakes.

First off, I would forget about net-snmp-config if I were you. There are two config files of interest. On my system they are at :

/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf  && /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf.

I'd advise you to set

SNMPCONFPATH="/etc/snmp/:/var/net-snmp"

on your target (obviously pointing at wherever you have these two files). Set it wherever you normally set your environment variables, or if you have a script that launches snmpd, set it there.

Then edit /var/net-snmp/snmpd.log to contain a line of the format :

createUser username MD5 "authentication_password" DES "encryption_password"

You only need the DES part if you want encryption, in which case you must be using openSSL.

Note that this line will "disappear" when the daemon starts, so it would be advisable to have the original file in persistent storage somewhere, otherwise you'll lose your user on a reboot.

Ciao
Steve