> I suspect this is something that probably hasn't really been looked
> at before.  In general, we wouldn't normally call this routine twice.
> And even if we did, the second call should return almost immediately
> without actually doing anything.
>
> It would be extremely useful to know *where* the agent is crashing.
> All I can think is that something is trying to make use of the
> AgentX connection (since that's the only bit that *can* return a
failure)
> and choking when it finds that this connection isn't available.

Unfortunately I was never able to get a stack trace in ddd.  He would
just segfault with no clue as to why and we *quite accidentally* figured
out that setting up our code such that if we didn't come back from the
select with the right number of fd's, then we could do the init_snmp()
again, but not the init_agent().  Never knew why though -- sorry.

Carlos