I may have to go in the direction of community string contexts,
although that creates more work on the (closed source) poller. Not
sure if I can make it happen on that side.

Thanks Robert,  for the idea of using contexts as a communications
conduit to the subagent - here I go with an ugly hack attempt -  wish
me luck :)