On Friday 22 October 2004 13:33, Dave Shield wrote:
> AB> Simply add a community to the informsink line:
> AB>
> AB> informsink <host> public
> AB>
> AB> should solve the timeout.
>
> But if you look at David's original report, he *did* have a community
> field as part of that entry:

Correct
>                                     vvvvvv
> DG> .... I added "informsinc <host> public" to snmpd.conf.  This gave me
> DG> persistant snmpd: send_trap: Timeout messages.
>
> I think the problem is more likely to be related to using
> (acknowledged) INFORM requests, rather than (unacknowledged) traps.
>
> The obvious question (which I forgot to ask):
>    David - do you have a trap-handler application listening for
>            such notifications on the remote host?
>            Does it support SNMPv2 ?

Yes, I am running OpenNMS, and once I got the sender configured
right it started to see the traps.  Now it only saw one of them, it
did not see duplication.  Wether it was clever enough to de-dup them
I do not know, but that also suggests that it only responds to one
of the two, and as the trap form is simpler than the inform form
I will try adding just "trap2sink <host> public" and see what happens.

.. goes away and tries it...

Having tried it, trap2sink on its own does seem to work, so your
idea that the problem is the inform request timing out was right.  I
will ask the OpenNMS people whether they are supposed to support
inform.  And it works to have just one line.

I would suggest that the documentation does not make it clear that
the bit about startup is for all three ...sink options.  For that reason
I chose the only one that it seemed to be saying did this, i.e. the
informsink option.  By nature I would have gone for the simpler
trap2 had it been obvious that I had the option.

David