To: "Gemma Sánchez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Users" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 2:03 PM
Subject: RE: What is a SNMP session?

Hello,

This is the first time I'm answering a question ;-). Experts please correct me if I'm wrong. To my understanding, there is no concept of "session" (similar to telnet, ssh, etc) because:

1. SNMP is a UDP-based stateless (request <-> response) protocol, and
2. Each PDU is supposed to have authorization information, if any. Essentially the Agent is not needed to keep track of client-connections.

But there are confusing similarities. Some SNMP libraries and SDKs provide session APIs. Between NetSNMP Agent and an AgentX subagent there is a session.

There's a memo draft http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-hardaker-snmp-session-sm/ that attempts to address this.

 HTH,
Jaiber John