sysDescr is a read-only MIB object.  try sysName or sysLocation or
sysContact...

/jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pedro
Neves
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 1:43 AM
To: Sundeep Singh
Cc: net-snmp
Subject: Re: snmpset() application doubt

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 04:18, Sundeep Singh wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Pedro Neves wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am trying to work with the snmpset() application but it retrieves
an
> > error related with the permissions.
> >
> > $snmpset -v 2c -c private ............
> > Error in packet.
> > Reason: notWritable (that object does not support modification)
>
> what object are u trying to set ?

I am making some experimentes just for training with the sysDescr object
in my computer (localhost). I think my problem is related with the fact
that I am not able to configure correctly a write community in the
agent.

To configure the write community in the localhost agent, I made the
following:

rwcommunity private

private is the name of the write community I am trying to create. Am I
doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pedro