Gary,

I didn't built snmp, I installed it from debs, so I don't know what the trap community would be. However, I did put these lines in snmpd.conf and then checked snmptrapd. The packets were received then, but still not logged. In each case, I got this output from snmptrapd's debug:

trace: netsnmp_udp_recv(): snmpUDPDomain.c, 133:
netsnmp_udp: recvfrom fd 7 got 97 bytes (from 127.0.0.1)
trace: _sess_process_packet(): snmp_api.c, 4892:
sess_process_packet: session 0x808b860 fd 7 pkt 0x808d118 length 97
trace: _sess_process_packet(): snmp_api.c, 4916:
sess_process_packet: pre-parse fail
trace: _sess_read(): snmp_api.c, 5210:
sess_read: not reading 5 (fdset 0xbffffc60 set 0)
trace: _sess_read(): snmp_api.c, 5210:
sess_read: not reading 3 (fdset 0xbffffc60 set 0)
trace: snmp_sess_select_info(): snmp_api.c, 5622:
sess_select: for all sessions: 7 5 3

I don't know what "pre-parse fail" means, but it seems like it must be the root of my problem.

Regards,
Russ

Gary Clark wrote:
Ok can you add the line:

trap2sink ipaddress comunityname
trapcommunity communityname

to your snmpd.conf file.

The ipaddress is the ip address of your local machine and community name is the community name you specified whilst building.

Much appreciated,
Garyc