Robert (and all the other core developers):

I have worked with the files

./agent/mib_modules.c
./agent/mibgroup/mib_module_inits.h
./agent/snmpd.c

to include printf() and DEBUGMSGTL(()) statements,
only to find, much to my chagrin, that those changes
that are made to the routines

should_init()
init_mib_modules()

do not result in the expected output from the printf()
and DEBUGMSGTL(()) statements.  Indeed, no such output
is generated.

Additionally, not being easily disuaded from getting to
the bottom of problems, I went so far as to rename the

init_mib_modules()

routine to

init_mib_modules_wrb()

and made the corresponding changes to the routine

snmpd()

as found in the file

./agent/snmpd.c

then executed the commands

make clean
make

only to find that a) the daemon was produced,
and b) when executed, the output was the following
message

./agent/.libs/snmpd: relocation error: ./agent/.libs/snmpd: undefined symbol:
init_mib_modules_wrb

How can the daemon complete linking, and then upon execution generate
the above error?  The only change made was to rename the routine.  Surely
if there is some problem with such a renaming, it would be as a reportable
error either during compile time, or during link time.

I am exploring this process in order to come to understand why the daemon
does not initialise my dot11StationConfigTable (part of the 802.11 MIB),
even though it is listed within the configure process, via the

--with-mib-modules=dot11/mfd/dot11StationConfigTable

specification.

Indeed, one of my co-workers suggested the use of the *nm* function, and
here is what I get:::::

[EMAIL PROTECTED] net-snmp-5.2]# nm ./agent/.libs/snmpd | grep -i -n
"init_mib_module"
68:         U init_mib_modules_wrb
[EMAIL PROTECTED] net-snmp-5.2]# ./agent/.libs/snmpd -Dmib_init -H
No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
mib_init: initializing: usmConf
mib_init: initializing: subagent
mib_init: initializing: vacm_conf
mib_init: initializing: agentx_config
./agent/.libs/snmpd: relocation error: ./agent/.libs/snmpd: undefined symbol:
init_mib_modules_wrb
[EMAIL PROTECTED] net-snmp-5.2]#

So, guys, what is the problem?  Why do I get this kind of failure for
just changing the name of a routine?????

William R. Buckley
President
SoftNerd, A California Corporation
Director Emeritus,