Hi Jayson.

Jayson Robinson wrote:
Okay folx, I'm sure this has already been answered but I am having a hard time finding any information on it. I just built v5.2.1 with a persistent file of /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf but have tried this on both 5.2.1 and on 5.1.2.

I put an initial createuser directive into /usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf (I realize that this is NOT the correct place for it, but it worked in windows so I tried it here as well.)
<snip>
I then go and restart snmp using the startup script we have written and the user that I created is no longer there. All usmUser lines have been removed from the snmpd.conf (persistent file) and no users exist in the usmTable anymore.

Are you setting the SNMPCONFPATH variable? If you are, then you need to include the persistent path in the SNMPCONFPATH variable by separating the paths with a colon (for *nix and a semi-colon for Windows). Even though it's smart enough to write to the correct location, it is not smart enough to READ from the same location if SNMPCONFPATH is set. So the rule is: If you define SNMPCONFPATH, then you need to include the persistent folder path such as: SNMPCONFPATH=/usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf:/var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf

If you have not defined SNMPCONFPATH or passed any paths to snmpd using the -c / -C switches then it *should* work.

If you grab Net-SNMP from CVS, you'll find an updated snmp_config man page that will hopefully clarify things (if not, let me know).

Alex

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes Want to be the first software developer in space? Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7412&alloc_id=16344&op=click _______________________________________________ Net-snmp-users mailing list Net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net Please see the following page to unsubscribe or change other options: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/net-snmp-users