[ First - *please* don't mail me privately, without copying
     any responses to the mailing list.  I don't have the time
     or inclination to offer private, unpaid, SNMP consultancy.
     Keep discussions to the list, where others can both learn
     and offer advice.  Thanks.   ]

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:25, quhp wrote:
> Thank you for your reply!
> Because the deadline is coming ,i won't change it to C and stick to
> this unperfect method.

Fair enough.
Thomas has suggested looking at the embedded perl mechanism.
It's not something I've used myself, so I don't know whether
this would be any improvement or not.

> Now the right way i can go through , but if the operation is failed ,
> what will i do with ?
> print a message (it no use as i did )  or exit -1 (1)  directly ???

Pass.

The original (one-shot) pass mechanism returns an explicit
error string (with blank implying success) for SET request.
(Though Get/GetNext are the other way round).

I've never been particularly clear how this is meant to work
when extended to the pass_persist mechanism.  I'd have thought
that the uncertainty about whether to expect a response or not
would cause problems.

Checking the code, it seems to look for the same two error
strings "not-writable" or "wrong-type".   I suspect that
anything else will be taken to indicate a successful assignment.
But this may well be way off - Wes?