> Dave> Wes - can you recall why the AgentX registration handling uses the
> Dave> 'community' field of the PDU structure?  Was it just Shield stupidity
> Dave> again?

> wassnat me!
> I don't know.

OK - so we'll put it down to a Shield cock-up then.
I know that I didn't get to grips with SNMPv3 contexts
until long after the initial AgentX implementation.

> Dave>  What would be the implications of switching to use the
> Dave> 'contextName' field instead?

> I doubt you could switch

Why not?
The lowest level API for registering (or unregistering) an
AgentX MIB region is agentx_register (or agentx_unregister)
which takes the context as a parameter.

It's the internals of this routine that copies it into the
"community" field rather than "contextName".  And then the
agentX protocol routines use this to build the agentX header,
which is internal again.

At the other end, the agentX protocol routines parse this
header and insert the context value into the "community" field.
This is then used as a parameter to the MIB registry routines.

When sending a GET* request, the master agent copies the
MIB registration context string to the AgentX PDU community
field before sending it (using the same agentX header protocol
routines again).

And the only other place where "community" appears is in the
client-side handling of incoming requests, where the community
string is explicitly moved to the 'contextName' field, before
passing the request off to the main (sub)agent handling code.
Explicitly correcting this mistake!

So everywhere that this field is used is "internal" processing.
I don't see where fixing this might break any user-visible
behaviour.   What have I missed?