On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:46:52 -0400, Robert Story <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is serverProcessName declared as an IMPLICIT index? I'm guessing not, which
> means that you need a length for the string in your OID, which you currently
> don't have.

Ahh... We're getting somewhere!  A question I don't understand!

I didn't find anything googling for IMPLICIT indices, but when I
stumbled across IMPLIED in section 7.7 of RFC1902, and then added a
string length sub-id (in this and all string indexed tables) things
worked as expected.  Thanks for helping me understand this before
shipping a broken MIB/agent!

Now, for another, related question...

I have one table that needs to be indexed by "user" and "organization"
(the same user can exist in multiple organizations).  The maximum
lengths of user and organization names can exceed the 128 subid
maximum, so I figure I (at least) need to index by organization Id
(integer) and user name (string).

There is already a table indexed by just organization, and a stable
index is available (tho not currently part of the organization table).

Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of how to structure/declare
the tables, in particular:

Whether to index the organization table by string or an integer orgIndex?

If an integer orgIndex, should it be an auxillary object
(not-accessible)?  The same value will be used to index another table,
does this argue for making it visible?

My infrastructure (object instances (OID, type, value triples) are
spit out by Perl scripts which don't care much about the size/shape if
the instance id... A subroutine (mentioned above) is available to
translate strings to strings of dotted subids) is such that string
indexed tables aren't any harder to program in the agent than integer
indexed ones...

An advantage of a string indexed table would seem to be that someone
could perform an order-1 lookup to find a particular organization
rather than having to (bulk)walk the entire table (which is unlikely
to have many entries in most situations, and most often may only have
one entry).  But I suppose more variables can fit in a BULKGET PDU if
their oids are smaller...

How to indicate on the per-user in organization (orgUserTable?) table
that the organization Index (orgUserOrgIndex(?))  column corresponds
to the orgIndex in orgTable (AUGMENTS doesn't seem like it's meant for
this is situation)?

        Just put a note in the DESCRIPTION?

        Should I just include an orgUserOrganization column to the table,
        so the table stands alone?

Thanks for at least reading this far!
-phil