On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 09:15 -0700, Tom Cumming wrote:
> Is it "legal" to define a MIB with holes in the oid numbering

Yes.
Relatively unusual, but perfectly legal.

> to allow for features that are unknown today to be added
> at a later date???

Another way this can arise is when dropping obsolete (and/or
broken) MIB objects.  The cardinal rule of MIB design is that
you should never have two definitions with different behaviour
sharing the same OID.   If you change the behaviour of a MIB
object, you should change the OID as well.  This will typically
leave a gap where the old MIB object used to be.

>     I tried it for kicks, and I got the following in snmpd.log.
>
> unknown column 4 in _RaidControllerTable_get_column
> unknown column 5 in _RaidControllerTable_get_column
> unknown column 6 in _RaidControllerTable_get_column...

How did you register the RaidControllerTable?
The simplest form of specifying the valid columns in a
'netsnmp_table_registration_info' structure is to give
the first and last columns:

    tinfo->min_column = MY_FIRST;
    tinfo->max_column = MY_LAST;

But this structure also includes a field

    netsnmp_column_info *valid_columns;

This can be used to specify more complex arrangements of
which columns are valid.   I haven't actually used this
myself, so I'm not quite sure exactly how it works.
But take a look at the definition of this data structure
(in <net-snmp/agent/table.h>) and have a play.