On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 15:27 +0200, Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez wrote:

> Do the following: kill/stop snmpd (if running as daemon), open a
> shell/xterm/etc and run snmpd in foreground:
> $ snmpd -f -Lsd -Lf /var/log/snmpd.log -p /var/run/snmpd -a

I'd actually suggest you run the agent using

        snmpd -f -Le

rather than using syslog (-Lsd) and a log file (-Lf)
The perl script you refer to outputs explicitly to STDERR,
and while I haven't traced the output processing (or
tried this in practise),  I suspect it's probably safer
to have the agent explicitly log to standard output too.

Comparing your debug output to the perl control code, I'd
expect the "initializing perl" message to be followed by
either "done initializing perl" or an error:
    "embedded perl support failed to initalize"

(see agent/snmp_perl.c:maybe_source_perl_startup())

Neither of these seems to occur.  Strange....

What's in the file  /usr/share/snmp/snmp_perl.pl  ?