On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 11:35 +0100, Palmentieri Nunzio wrote:
> The AgentX master agent is up and running, but I passed a
> configuration file (snmpd.conf) with line
>
> AgentXSocket myserver:5000

Let's see if we can get a "standard" installation working,
shall we?

> If I remove this line from the conf file, I get the message:
>
> Warning: Couldn't open a master agentx socket to listen on
>     (/var/agentx/master): Unknown host (/var/agentx/master)
>     (Address already in use)

Note that last error message.
That seems to imply that you may already have an
AgentX-capable SNMP agent running on the system.

Try shutting down both your master agent and your subagent.
Check the directory /var/agentx - what does it contain ?
    ("ls -l /var/agentx")

Check the running processes - is there another SNMP agent ?
    ("ps -ef | grep -i snmp"  or "ps -aux | grep -i snmp")