On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 10:22 -0800, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Sadly, it's not a bug.
> It's a feature!!!
>
> It's a long standing issue.  precedence for net-snmp, which is quite
> unique to our package, is in order (1 being trumped by 2):
>
> 1) short command line arguments
> 2) config files
> 3) long command line arguments

Hmmm...

No - sorry, Wes.   I've given that due consideration, and am of
the same opinion.  This behaviour is a bug - whether or not it's
documented as a "feature".

After all, if I set
        "defaultCommunity  public"

in my .snmp/snmp.conf file, and then run
        snmpget -c private localhost sysContact.0

then the request will use the community string "private"
not "public" - exactly as I'd expect.

According to your description above, the config file
setting ("public") should take precedence over the
short command line argument "-c private".
  But it doesn't, and it's right not to.

Having (visible) command-line arguments ignored because
of (invisible) config settings is Just Plain Wrong.
At the very least, this should issue a warning.

But it would be better to fix things so that the command
line arguments take precedence, just as everyone naturally
expects.