[ First - *please* don't mail me privately, without copying
     any responses to the mailing list.  I don't have the time
     or inclination to offer private, unpaid, SNMP consultancy.
     Keep discussions to the list, where others can both learn
     and offer advice.  Thanks.   ]

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 17:12 +0200, Makavy, Erez (Erez) wrote:
> Say I don't want the master agent process to have the burdon of
> sending traps, I want it to keep on listening for requests.
>
> [Question 1]
> Can I build a "light-weight" process which includes only the 'Message
> Processor' module, and uses the send_v2trap API?

It's your code - you can design it to work however you wish.

The AgentX model is of the various subagents combining with
the master agent to form a single "logical super-agent", so
implicitly envisages a centralisation of notification processing.
The subagents send them to the master agent (using a dedicated
AgentX PDU type), and the master agent uses the standard MIB
tables to direct them appropriately.

So that's what we have implemented, and support.
But if you want to use an alternative approach, then
that's fine.

>     (would it be straight forward to build it?
>  If so, do you have any guidelines?)

Not really - you're talking about designing a proprietary
mechanism, so it's totally up to you how to proceed.
You'll need to consider how to communicate between the
subagents and the "message processor" module, how this
"trap master" will be configured,  whether to piggyback
your new subagent trap handling onto the Net-SNMP APIs,
or define your own, etc, etc.

The difficulty of implementing this will depend on the
decisions you make on these and similar issues.  You can
make this fairly simple, extremely complicated or anything
in between.

But you're not really talking about the same Net-SNMP agent
that we provide and support, so you'll basically be on your own.

> Different subject
> [Question 2]
> Does net-snmp support "Local MIB Access"? (How?)
>
> Meaning...
> Can an application (running on the same system as the master agent),
> lookup an OID value at the master agent,

Yes.

If you look at the new 5.3 code, you'll even see a new set of
utility routines 'netsnmp_query_get' et al, to help with this.

>  without actually sending an internal SNMP request?

No.

If you want to retrieve information from the SNMP agent, you
need to send an SNMP request to it.  That's how the agent works.

But remember that the agent holds relatively little information
itself - most of the time it's retrieving data from the underlying
operating system.  If you're running on the same host and don't
want to send an SNMP request, you can always query the underlying
system directly - you don't have to use SNMP at all.

But if you're using the SNMP agent, you need to talk SNMP.