Dave:
   i remember i should not send emails to private person after i sent
   the following to you only. I am sending it again to everyone.

Dave:

thank you very much for replying my question.
I did 2 things to fix the problem (by the way, my snmp agent named darRecorder
(not snmpd) was running on RH linux)

1. copying my agent configuration file to /usr/local/etc/snmp/darRecorder.conf. (i did this because debug messages of my agent complained about the file missing.
   /usr/local is the install directory of my net-snmp-5.2.1 binaries.
   Now i understand the conf file should be named as the name of agent,
   not always a string of 'snmpd.conf'.)
2. issuing "snmpget -v 2c -c private localhost darDeviceType.0" (instead of
  "-c public")

Although i do not fully understand why the 2 changes made it working, i
can continue the rest of my agent tasks.
Thanks again, your help has guided me to the right direction on debugging
the problem (like whether it's access control or specific agent problem)
and i do appreciate you volunteer on providing help to net-snmp users.

Li-Juen