Li Juen Hwang wrote:
What's wrong with shutting down agent with "kill -9"? What does it
indicate?
I ask because currently my agent (a master agent, not a subagent) can only be shut down by "kill -9". It is launched with "-f -L -M -D" as a thread on RH by a main program which will then connect to the data source to get data. I'd like to know the impact of using "kill -9" and the correct way of terminating an agent.

Use plain "kill" (=="kill -TERM") instead. Any well-behaved application should be given the chance to properly shutdown itself. A net-snmp based agent in particular will write the persistent config on shutdown which it cannot do if terminated the hard way (SIGKILL).

+Thomas